How to Create a Professional Email Account (and Set Up a Mail Client)
Emails have become an essential part of online communication and marketing. In this guide, we’ll show you how to create a professional email address that promotes your business and boosts trust. In addition, you’ll find configuration instructions for email clients to help you manage all the new mailboxes efficiently.
With the rising popularity of mobile devices, checking your email takes less time and effort than ever before (fun fact: over half of all emails worldwide are being open through smartphones).
As of today, over 90% of adults in the United States admit to using email every day. Thus, if you need to reach a large audience, email marketing is a great way to get the job done.
For business owners, email is one of the top tools to communicate with potential customers and partners. So, it’s important to have a personalized email address. One way to achieve this is by creating a custom email box using a domain name (e.g., John@MyDomain.com), instead of a generic free one (e.g., John@Gmail.com). Making a custom email address will:
- Add trust to your brand – a custom domain in the address field adds more credibility.
- Give more control – management is easier, conveniently create and delete mailboxes.
- Promote your business – people may be tempted to check the website you’re running.
To create a new email account, follow these five simple steps:
Let’s dive in!
1. Register a Domain Name
The process of making a custom email address starts by registering a domain name. You can do that right here on Hostinger using our domain checker tool for as low as $0.99!
Enter the domain name that you wish to register, and if it is available, you’ll see a list of viable options.
For a more in-depth approach, considering checking our complete domain buying guide.
If you have an existing domain, you can use it too! All you need to do is add it to your hosting account and point the DNS to our servers. Alternatively, it’s possible to transfer the domain name to Hostinger (though it is not mandatory).
2. Choose an Email Hosting Provider
Now that you have the domain name ready, the next step is picking an email host. In fact, we offer email hosting services right here on Hostinger.
Here’s what you can use to create a professional email address:
- Business Email – All web hosting plans include one free business mailbox.
- Enterprise Email – A premium email hosting solution offers extra features, higher sending volumes, and various tools to improve workflow.
Existing Hostinger users can find the premium mail upgrades in the Power Store section of the member area. If you only need email hosting, the premium choices are recommended. However, in case you also plan to host a site, a standard web hosting package will better fit your needs.
3. Set Up the Email Services
Depending on which mail service you choose, the steps to set it up and create an email account may slightly differ.
Since all our web hosting plans include email by default, you only need to make sure that your domain is pointed correctly. Once that’s taken care of, you can create an email box and use various other related services in the control panel.
To create an email account, simply access the Email Accounts section, and you’ll find all the necessary tools.
Premium Email Solutions
Alternatively, we offer three different mail solutions that are worth considering. If you’re not planning to use hosting, these tools are the perfect choice, as they allow you to have functional email services without owning a web hosting account.
Business Email Service
An affordable, yet fairly powerful mail sending solution with all the tools to reach your email marketing goals.
- Once you start it, you will need to enter your domain name and make a few DNS changes.
- If your domain is pointed to Hostinger, everything will be done automatically.
- Lastly, you’ll be redirected to a management page, where you’ll be able to create an email account and access your webmail.
Enterprise Email Service
The following solution includes a few extra tools and larger sending limits that are suitable for bigger businesses.
However, the process of setting it up is nearly identical.
- After adding your domain, you’ll need to make a few changes in the DNS zone.
- Keep in mind that we will change your DNS automatically if your domain points to our nameservers.
- You can then create a new email account and start sending.
GSuite is a powerful mail solution developed by Google, which is also available on our platform.
Once you order it, the setup wizard will appear in your control panel.
- If your domain is pointed to Hostinger, all required MX records will be added automatically.
- Otherwise, you will need to perform the Google MX record change manually.
- As soon as you complete it, you will have access to a management panel that allows you to create an admin email account and perform management tasks.
Click the Create button to start the administrative mailbox setup.
Once you fill in the details, go ahead and access the newly created admin account.
To finalize the setup and begin using the services, you will also need to verify your domain with Google.
4. Configure Your Email Addresses
Personalizing your email address will give it a professional feel.
- If you’re running a business, then you’ll need a couple of general-purpose mailboxes (such as firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
- If your goal is to do outreach, you’ll need something different. Since personalization is a big part of successful campaigns, you can go for something like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
According to an email open rate study, around 69% of recipients take the from address into account when deciding whether to click or skip an email.
Another element you can add is a signature. You can include your company’s information such as contact details, logo, email, etc., which will increase your brand visibility.
There are several free tools that can help you make a professional and eye-catching email signature. Some of them include:
Once generated, head over to your email settings and you’ll be able to paste it in. For example, if you’re using Hostinger’s webmail, all the actions will take place in Webmail › Settings › Identities section.
5. Set Up an Email Client
If you have a lot of email accounts, using an email client is a great way to manage them in one place. Below, you’ll find step-by-step instructions on how to configure a Thunderbird or Mac Mail client (and how to find the required details to do so).
Locating IMAP/POP3 and SMTP server settings
To begin, go to your hosting control panel. Based on the email service that you chose, the configuration will differ. Here’s a quick rundown on where to find the settings that you need.
Hostinger Business/Enterprise Email
Navigate to the Email Accounts section. There, you’ll see an Email details table with all the mail server settings.
Open up Gmail and log in. Then, click on the gear icon in the upper-right side of your screen and go to Settings. Find the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
Make sure to set IMAP as enabled and save the changes. Then, an additional section with the email client configuration settings will appear.
For more details, consider checking the official IMAP setup guide by Google.
Adding a Mailbox to the Email Client
Since you’ve got all the incoming and outgoing mail server details, the remaining step is adding them to your email client. Here’s how the process would look like using two popular email clients: Thunderbird and Mac Mail.
Open up the Mozilla Thunderbird client. Under the Accounts tab, click on the Email button.
First, you’ll need to enter your details: name, email address, and password.
Next, you’ll need to enter the incoming/outgoing mail server and port, which we located earlier. Here’s an example of the final result while using default Hostinger email services.
That’s it! You can now send emails and manage everything directly from your Mozilla Thunderbird client.
Open your Mac Mail client and navigate to Mail › Add Account. Then, click on Other Mail Account. Here’s what you should see:
In the first step, you’ll need to fill in the necessary details: name, email address, and password.
Then, enter the incoming/outgoing mail server values and ports, which we located earlier. Once finished, click the blue Sign In button to finalize the setup.
Congratulations! You can now effectively manage all your mailboxes in a single place.
5 Tips to Get the Best Email Performance and CTR
Sending out a bunch of emails is not rocket science. But preparing good-quality mail campaigns that engage and sell is something that you’ll need to work on.
Here are a few tips that will improve your email performance and click-through rate:
- Work on the subject line. While it may seem like a trivial matter, the mail subject line plays a huge role in your email performance. According to an email study, around 70% of individuals report mail as spam solely by looking at the subject.
- Personalize your emails. Adding a person’s name in the subject or body of the text can increase the chances of your mail being opened. Get to know your audience and optimize your content to suit their needs.
- Add a CTA. Ideally, the user who reads your email will want to take action. This is usually the aim of every marketing campaign. Hence, crafting a solid CTA is crucial if you want to succeed.
- Be mobile-friendly. According to an article by CampaignMonitor, mobile users convert better than those who open emails on a desktop. Not only that, but more and more people use their phones to check emails instead of a computer.
- Test before you send. Since there are many aspects that you need to get right, send a test email to yourself before launching a campaign. Make sure to check how it looks through a smartphone too!
By finishing this guide, you’ve explored the various ways to create a domain-based email account that promotes your business. Unlocking the secrets of email marketing will take some time, so the sooner you start – the better! All that’s left is to grab an email hosting package and get to it.