Mar 09, 2021
How to Check if Website is Down or Working Worldwide
As a website owner, you must continuously monitor its uptime. There are rare cases where people in particular areas are unable to visit your site when really, it’s online. So in this tutorial, we will learn a few different methods on how to check if a website is down or that it’s accessible worldwide.
How to Check if Your Website is Down
If your site is up on your side but offline everywhere else, it can cost you traffic and brand reputation. This can happen due to technical problems — like server maintenance or DNS changes.
Here are four ways in which you can make sure that the issue is not happening to your website:
Method 1 — Checking with Website Planet
Website Planet provides a straightforward online checker that informs whether your site is up or not.
All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Visit Website Planet.
- Fill in your website address (URL) on the field and press the Check button.
- Website Planet will show whether your website is online or not.
This is what you will see if the website is up: And if your website is down, you will see:
Method 2 — Checking with Host Tracker
Host Tracker gives a lot more information compared to Website Planet. This site allows you to check the page speed, https, ping, trace, port, health, security, etc.
In addition, this tool can also be used to monitor a website in real-time. It will give you automated notifications if your site goes down. However, to enjoy this feature, you need to register for a free trial or pay $9.92 to $74.92/year.
But, you can still use the online tool to check your website status for free. Here is what you need to do:
- Access Host Tracker and scroll down until you see a CHECK SITE column.
- By default, the website aims to check the page speed. However, since we want to know whether your site is available worldwide, you must choose the Ping tab.
- Fill in the information required — your website URL and the test location. Choose All World in the location tab if you want to check your site status around the globe, then click CHECK.
- Wait for the information to load fully. Here is an example of the ping test result of Hostinger:
As you can see, the tool provides a detailed report. But you only need to pay attention to the first line of the Status column to find out if the website is online or not.
If you see results similar to the one above, your website is online. You should ignore one or two fails because the connection may have been interrupted due to other reasons. If the majority of checks are Good, then you can be sure that your website is online globally.
Method 3 — Checking with Site24x7
Site24x7 allows you to check your website availability from more than 100 different locations, including China, Barcelona, London, New York, and Sydney.
Aside from checking your site online status, this tool also gives you clear information on the total response time, the time to resolve DNS and to connect, plus the first-byte and last-byte time
Here are the steps to check your website online status using this tool:
- Visit Site24x7, and you will instantly see a field where you can enter a website URL.
- Fill it in with your website address (URL) and click Test Now.
- Wait for a bit until all of the information is gathered. You will then see a graph and a table with additional details.
Your website is online worldwide if the Status for each location shows OK. Here is the example of Hostinger’s test result:
Alternatively, if the site is down, it will show dash symbols and Host Unavailable under the Status and the IP columns respectively:
Method 4 — Checking with HideMy.name Proxy Server
As you may have known, accessing a website through a proxy server can make sure that the site is available at another location.
This is possible because the connection will first reach a proxy server located in a completely different part of the world, then the server will send a request to the website, which will then be displayed on your screen.
Here is how you do a reliable online check status of your website by using the above scheme:
- Navigate to HideMy.name, then click the Try it for free button.
- Enter a valid email address and press Send me code. This way, you will receive a free VPN login code in your mailbox (you will need it later).
- Install the software by clicking on VPN for Windows. Alternatively, you can also install the Mac, Linux, or Android version of the software. Choose according to your computer operating system.
- Follow the installation process. Then, open the HideMy.name VPN program on your computer and enter the code you have received in your email.
- Choose a specific country to test your website connection. For example, we use this software to check whether Hostinger is online in Tanglin, Singapore.
If you cannot access your site after changing your server location, it means that your website is down in that specific area. Try checking from different locations to make sure your site is available worldwide.
Note that your code is only valid for 24 hours. After that, you need to get a new code by registering a different email or getting the premium plans that cost $8/month, $24/half-year, or $36/year.
Congratulations! You have just learned how to check if your website is down or working worldwide using four different online tools. To get a more accurate result, you can combine all of the methods above.
Drop a comment below if you have any questions or suggestions!